Stina Urban, PhD
3-501 Bowen Science Building
51 Newton Road
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1109
2015 Ph.D. Program in Immunology & Microbiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA
2007 B.S. Microbiology, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Malaria remains a global health concern and can cause severe pathological consequences in humans including cerebral malaria (CM), which can result in coma, long-term neurological complications and death. Animal models have provided useful insight into the pathogenesis of CM but much remains to be discovered. Utilizing multi-color flow cytometry and intravital two-photon microscopy, I am studying several aspects of the CD8 T cell immune response to malaria.
Areas of research included:
- The generation, function, and maintenance of CD8 T cell responses to liver-stage antigens
- The development of tissue resident memory CD8 T cell responses
- The role of CD8 T cells in pathogenesis of murine Experimental Cerebral Malaria (ECM)
- Urban SL, Jensen IJ, Shan Q, Pewe LL, Xue HH, Badovinac VP, Harty JT. Peripherally induced brain tissue-resident memory CD8+ T cells mediate protection against CNS infection. Nat Immunol. 2020 Aug;21(8):938-949. Epub 2020 Jun 22. PMCID: PMC7381383 [available on 2020-12-22]
- Urban S.L., K.L. Doll, and J.T. Harty. 2017. Mechanisms of Adaptive Immunity to Plasmodium Liver-Stage Infection: The Known and Unknown. In Malaria: Immune Response to Infection and Vaccination. M. M. Mota and A. Rodriguez, editors. Springer International Publishing Cham. 27-45.
- Urban S.L., L.J. Berg, and R.M. Welsh. 2016. Type 1 Interferon licenses naïve CD8 T cells to mediate anti-viral cytotoxicity. Virology. 493: 52-59.
- Urban S. L. and Welsh R. M. 2014. Out-of-sequence signal 3 as a mechanism for virus-induced immune suppression of CD8 T cell responses. PLoS Pathogens. 10(9):e1004357
- Terajima, M., S.L. Urban, and A. Leporati. 2013. The N-terminus of vaccinia virus host range protein C7L is essential for function. Virus Genes. 46:20-27.
- Welsh, R.M., K. Bahl, H.D. Marshall, and S.L. Urban. 2012. Type 1 Interferons and Antiviral CD8 T-Cell Responses. PLoS Pathogens. 8(1):e1002352
- Marshall, H.D., S.L. Urban, and R.M. Welsh. 2011. Virus-Induced Transient Immune Suppression and the Inhibition of T Cell Proliferation by Type I Interferon. The Journal of Virology. 85:5929-5939.
- Marques, C.P., M.C.-J. Cheeran, J.M. Palmquist, S. Hu, S.L. Urban, and J.R. Lokensgard. 2008. Prolonged Microglial Cell Activation and Lymphocyte Infiltration following Experimental Herpes Encephalitis. The Journal of Immunology. 181:6417-6426.